Spring has sprung and it’s time to throw open the windows and let the fresh smells of spring into your home. If you’re like most homeowners, you’re busy cleaning all the crevices in your home that don’t get your attention on a regular basis. Spots like the top of your ceiling fans, behind the refrigerator, and shelves in your cupboards are now the focus. By giving your home a deep spring cleaning, you know you’re taking care of your home and your family. But are you forgetting about cleaning your HVAC system?
All of the air you and your family breathe while at home is cycled through your heating and cooling equipment and your ductwork. It’s Important to keep your HVAC system clean, too.
Follow the steps below to make sure your HVAC system is clean and ready to go!
1. Ensure the power to your HVAC system is turned off. Safety is key when working in and around your furnace and air conditioner. The system is hooked up to electricity. Avoid dangerous shocks by turning the power off.
2. Replace the air filter. If the filter has been replaced recently, remove and verify it is still clean. If the filter is clogged with dust and debris, your HVAC system will be forced to work harder, shortening its lifespan and costing you more money in the long run. Clean or replace the filter at least once per month for optimum efficiency, and only use filters that don’t cause the furnace to operate out of the manufacturer specifications.
3. Inspect the external air conditioning unit. Check the unit, inside and out.
- Remove any covering you have placed over the unit for the winter. (Most manufacturers don’t recommend covering your air conditioning unit in winter, but many people still do.)
- Ensure the area surrounding the unit is clear of debris such as sticks and leaves that may have accumulated over the fall and winter.
- Inside the unit, clean the fan blades and the coils which can also collect debris. (If you are unsure how to do this or don’t feel comfortable doing so, call in a professional)
4. Inside your home, inspect all vents, including in-flowing air vents and return vents. Ensure the area surrounding all vents is free of clutter so air moves freely. This helps your HVAC system work properly, saving your system from working too hard and using more energy.
5. Have your home’s air ducts cleaned. Dust and particles can settle and build up in ductwork. By having the air ducts cleaned, you can rest easy knowing you’re not continuously recirculating dust through your home. This isn’t necessary in every circumstance but having a professional come out and inspect your ducts will help you decide if now is a good time to get it done.
Enjoy the fresh spring air, indoors and out! Ensure your HVAC system is cleaned, along with the rest of your home, to protect your family’s health and save money on HVAC repairs and energy costs.
Author: Scott Oberg
Company: Unitedly Service Group
Scott Oberg, a native of Rochester, Minnesota since the age of nine, is the owner of Unitedly Service Group. Serving area residents through the warm summers and very cold winters, Unitedly Service Group is EPA-certified, licensed, bonded, and insured, and can handle any heating and cooling repair and replacement.
Filled with ambition and a desire to find ways to improve service to his clients, Scott started United Heating and Cooling in 2006. Initially, his company focused on commercial services. However, on January 1, 2021, Scott completed rebranding his company to Unitedly Service Group and is now focusing on delivering exceptional service to residential clients.
Scott and his wife Tracy have three children. Scott enjoys coaching his children’s baseball and softball teams, being on the field and taking part in their victories, and the many life lessons they learn while being a part of a team.
In Rochester, Minnesota, contact Unitedly Service Group at 507-332-1060 for exceptional Daikin products and installations. Unitedly Service Group is proud to offer high-quality heating and cooling services to the residents of Olmsted County. EPA certified, and able to work on all brands, they offer flexible financing options on approved credit.